Your Nav Bar Here

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

worn

The first big project I ever completed was the Boneyard Shawl. I knit it in some Lion Brand fisherman's wool and it took me a little over 2 years to finish. There was no swatching  or blocking involved when I made this thing, I didn't know how to do either and I didn't care to learn, which is why it's so small and lumpy.


At this point, my Boneyard Shawl is about 3 years old (5 if you consider the 2 years it took to make) and it's already moth eaten. Usually I mend my knits by quickly and lazily sewing up the hole with some embroidery floss, but in the spirit of slow fashion October I wanted to patch this shawl up with a little more mindfulness and care.


There are a variety of ways to mend knits, none of which I'm particularly well versed in. But after some poking around the internet I think I found a way to fix up ole' Boney in a way that I like. One of the tricky things for me when it comes to mending things is finding a method to mend that isn't too visible. I'm not a big fan of things like visible patches, contrasting repair stitch colors, etc. Clean and simple, that's what I like. The repair I make shouldn't draw attention to itself, it should blend in with the rest of the garment.


To mend my shawl in an inconspicuous way first sent me rifling through my old yarn stash where I found the remaining moth eaten skein of yarn that I originally used. Because the holes that needed repairing weren't too big I used the stocking darn method which only requires a darning needle and some yarn scraps to weave a little patch between non-moth eaten rows. While I was unsure of this method at first, as it can highlight the repair work instead of blending in, I found that by using the original yarn the new woven patch disappeared into the shawl quite nicely.


Since I'm new to the world of mindful mending, I'm curious to know: how do you repair your handmade treasures?

No comments:

Post a Comment